Friday, April 10, 2009

New start -- and more kid talk

I've started something new.



I think it's really different from lots of traditional samplers. And I'm really liking it so far. I've finished the whole left side of the design.




It's Rachel Hyde from Threads Through Time. I'm being extremely boring and using DMC with 40ct Summer Khaki -- that's what the chart called for and I happened to have the fabric in my stash, so that's what I went with. Part of me really wanted to go with a pretty fabbie, but I couldn't decide on one from my stash. So the boring route was chosen.




Rachel, bless her soul, did some over one work, but it's all in tent stitch! Of course, she chose to do her tent stitch in different directions, depending on her whim, so it's more challenging than just plain tent stitch. But not much more. It's nice to do over one tent stitch knowing that's what Rachel used!

There isn't a picture of the whole piece that I could find online, but if you google Rachel Hyde, you may be able to find a picture on someone's blog. :D I know there's one out there.

A big thank you to Melody for this chart! I owe you one!



Thanks again for your comments. It seems most of you find that girls talk about stuff more than boys do. And I agree. Just not with my kids. lol! From the time the girl child was small, she never told us anything. I still remember picking her up from nursery school and asking her how her day was.

"Fine."

"What did you do today?"

"Nothing."

And it's been the same all through her life. Now she'll she tell me yes, she had a great weekend, sorry no pictures of the Freshman Formal, but it was fantastic. In an email. If I hear from her -- usually by IM -- I always know she needs something! lol!

Now the boy child is actually better than his sister. He still doesn't talk too much and will generally say the usual "nothing" for an answer. But he does definitely talk when he's excited about something. To continue from last weekend's paintball event, recall that he went to his friend's house almost immediately after he got home from the paintball event, and so we didn't hear or see much of him after that. But once I got him home from his friend's house and he sat down with me, he gabbled on and on about his weekend at the paintball event. Boy, is he enthused about scenario paintball! He desperately wants to go to another event asap! He even showed me a video on Youtube of him and his teammates attacking a tank! So I heard a whole lot about paintball, WWII paintball guns, grenades, tanks, famous paintball dudes, and more. Yes, the boy child IS capable of talking to me! :D BTW, here's the video from Youtube that he showed me. Tanks were one of the big exciting things for him!



So for me, neither kid tells me much. But the boy child tells me more than the girl child!

The girl child is coming home just for the weekend for Easter. There isn't a break at her college, so it'll be a short visit. Have a great weekend, everyone. And Happy Easter and Passover!

22 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Margaret, I love Rachel Hyde that you are stitching! It is so pretty! (Oh drool!) I'm sure you will have this done in no time!

You're lucky your boy is talking to you. Mine seems to be more conversational when there's only two of us in the car going somewhere!

Enjoy your long weekend!

karenv said...

What a lovely start to your sampler! Summer Khaki is one of my favourite fabric colours, so I wouldn't call it boring ;)

Brigitte said...

A new start - that's always great news, lol. I love to see new things on stitchers' blogs.
I love stitching on Khaki, particularly Summer Khaki, and I also love DMC, so it's not boring for me either. I love the colours on your sampler.

Deb said...

Margaret - I love Rachel Hyde. It's wonderful. And it doesn't look like it's on boring fabric at all. I think it's going to be spectacular when it's finished. I think we've just gotten used to all these great overdyed linens and forgotten our fabric roots sometimes. But it's always good to use up something in stash (makes room for new stuff, right?)

doris said...

Rachel is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I found a pic of a completed Rachel Hyde:
http://www.lakemichigansamplerguild.org/images/2009/03/hydex.jpg

KsMaryLou said...

Oh how you tempt me to pull Rachel out of my stash. I love the border on this sampler. I'm sure you'll have this all stitched up before I could even decide on what fabric to use. ;)

Alma Allen said...

Hi Margaret,

Love your sampler. It's fabulous. How many hours do you stitch a day? I would love to know.

Enjoy your weekend dear friend

Alma

Jan said...

That is so lovely, Margaret!! I will certainly be enjoying seeing your flying needle make great progress on this special sampler!!

Boy and girl children are so weird, aren't they? Having had two boys and two girls, I often wonder where in the world they came from? But the next day, I will feel so blessed, by their existence. Go figure, huh?:)

Enjoy your Easter, dear one!:)

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Great new start, Margaret! I love it when the kids finally open up and chatter away! FUN!

Siobhán said...

Oh Margaret, what fabulous colors in your beautiful Rachel!! I love it when a repro breaks out of the normal colors and you get to mix it up. Lovely--and you're moving along so nicely on it!! YGG! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Littlebit said...

Oh, Margaret! That's going to be absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished..when you finish, if you're still bored, I'll send you my address. :-) Have a blessed Easter.

Sherry said...

Oh I love your new start and can't wait to watch it grow!

Cari said...

Oh my goodness Margaret..you stitchin' nut. Your Rachel Hyde is devine!!! Love everything about it. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Lisa said...

Can't wait to watch your progress on Rachel Hyde! She's going to be lovely!

sandrine said...

I don't speak english very well, but your embrodery is very very beautifull ! I love your blog ! bye bye.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty start! The colours are wonderful, so far from boring, lol. Can't wait to see more of it.

Glenna said...

Margaret, I looked for Rachel Hyde online and found it--I love it--and I didn't realize that TTT did large samplers as well as the tiny ones!

And on your tulip comment--I'm always on the lookout for samplers that have tulips on them. It's hard to find tulip stuff that isn't either cutesy (not my style) or too pictorial (I'd rather stitch samplers than pictures). I read somewhere that after the Tulipomania of the 1600s tulips started appearing on samplers, so I look more for that kind of tulip design as part of a historical-type sampler--only that's harder to find. Let me know if you know of any I haven't thought of. I've searched stitching bits and bobs, and ABC, because both have a pretty good search engine, but it doesn't cover samplers that have tulips not as a main element.

Nicole said...

Beautiful start Margaret! I just love it!! :)

woolwoman said...

WOW Margaret - I'm so pleased to see Rachel so far along already! I think it took my dad about 5 mos to stitch it but he only stitches about 2 hrs a day and not every day of course so we feel like he does a great job. I feel so bad I have not shown a photo of the framed finished Rachel in my house - I will try to get to that soon. The colors are very unusual for a sampler of that time period - not sure how accurate they are as I really don't know much about Nancy Sturgeon but I'm sure she tried to be historically correct as she did many repro samplers. Hope you enjoy Rachel! Hugs Mel

Karoline said...

Rachel is looking gorgeous, great start.

Happy Easter

mainely stitching said...

Love your current project! And it sounds fun. :D

We have 1 daughter and 3 sons. Our DD "must" talk. Seriously, she needs it more than air. But our boys are also very chatty. Most of the time, I love it. Only very seldom do I wish for a pair of earplugs. LOL!